The term “sliding doors moments” refers to a moment in life when a small decision or action can have a profound and lasting impact on one’s future. It comes from the 1998 movie “Sliding Doors,”. In the movie, Helen Quilley, experiences two parallel versions of her life based on whether she catches or misses a train.
This post may contain affiliate links. Which means I may receive a small commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended at no extra cost to yourself. As an amazon, associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Is A Sliding Doors Moment?
In a broader sense, a sliding door moment can refer to any decision or event that sets us on a different path. Thus leading to different outcomes and opportunities. It could be a job offer we accept or reject. Or a relationship we pursue or end, or a chance encounter that changes our perspective.
These sliding doors moments often require us to make choices with incomplete information and uncertainty. Yet, they can be difficult to recognize at the time. However, looking back, we may realize that a small decision we made had a significant impact on our life trajectory.
About The Movie
“Sliding Doors” is a 1998 romantic comedy-drama film directed by Peter Howitt and starring Gwyneth Paltrow and John Hannah. The film tells the story of a woman named Helen Quilley, who, after being fired from her job, rushes to catch a train home and catches her boyfriend cheating on her.
The movie then splits into two parallel storylines. One where Helen manages to catch the train and the other where she misses it. Each version of her life explores the consequences of this small decision, with different outcomes, challenges, and opportunities.
In one version, Helen catches the train and arrives home to find her boyfriend cheating on her. She leaves him and starts a new life, eventually finding love with a man named James. In the other version, Helen misses the train, and her life takes a different turn. She ends up staying with her boyfriend and facing various challenges and setbacks.
Examples Of Sliding Doors Moments
There are countless examples of sliding door moments that can occur in anyone’s life, and they can vary greatly from person to person. Here are some examples of sliding door moments:
- Choosing to study one subject over another in college. The choice of what to study in college can have a significant impact on one’s future career and life path.
- Deciding to take a job offer or stay at a current job. Choosing to accept or reject a job offer can have significant consequences for one’s career trajectory and financial stability.
- Meeting someone! A chance encounter with a person can lead to a friendship, relationship, or career opportunity that can significantly impact one’s life.
- Moving to a new city. Choosing to move to a new city for work or personal reasons can open up new opportunities and experiences, leading to a significant change in one’s life path.
- Taking a risk. Making a bold move, such as starting a business or pursuing a passion, can lead to significant changes in one’s career and personal life.
- Ending a relationship. Ending a relationship can be a difficult decision, but it can also lead to personal growth, new experiences, and the possibility of finding a more fulfilling relationship.
- Choosing to pursue further education. Going back to school for a graduate degree or certification can lead to new career opportunities and personal growth.
These are just a few examples of sliding door moments, and each person’s experience is unique.
Quotes About Sliding Door Moments
“Sometimes in life, we make decisions based on fear. And sometimes, those decisions are the ones that take us away from our true path. Sliding doors, right?” – Brooke Davis, One Tree Hill
“There are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a crossroads, afraid, confused, without a roadmap. The choices we make in those moments can define the rest of our days.” – Richard Gere
“Life is a journey, and if you fall in love with the journey, you will be in love forever.” – Peter Hagerty
“Our lives can change with every breath we take.” – Nikki Grimes
“The smallest decision can change your life forever.” – Keri Russell
“It’s the action, not the fruit of the action, that’s important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there’ll be any fruit. But that doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” – Seneca
These quotes all touch on the idea that small decisions or actions can have significant impacts on our lives and shape our future paths. also check out our Girl Boss Quotes.